Thursday, 30 January 2014
This polish is from the Amazing Spider-Man collection, I spotted it while browsing on Amazon one night and I couldn't resist.
I have had this nail polish in my collection for a few months now. I love anything orange and the colour of this polish did not disappoint me. Yes it is orange but there is almost a peach tone to it. What I mean to say is that it is not a harsh orange shade.
This is a lovely creme shade and it quite nice to apply, but you have got to be careful because it can look streaky. I used 3 light coats here. I got a good 3 days wear out of this before it started to chip like crazy :( stupid work! Ruins my nails!
Sunday, 26 January 2014
I got this lovely lipstick for Christmas and I am so happy with it. When I was younger, I used to wear red lipsticks all the time but now something has changed...the idea of wearing a bold lip now terrifies me and there are so many beautiful lipsticks out there. I really want to change my ways and get back into wearing beautiful lip colours rather than just plain glosses.
I think over the last few months, Lancome has become my favourite brand and I am certainly not disappointed with this lipstick. I think the packaging is too cute. The tube is so petite, and I think looks very unusual. After reading a few reviews of the Rouge in Love lipsticks, I notice a few people saying that the packaging is disappointing and not really a luxurious style for Lancome. I personally think it is fun and stylish.
This shade "Midnight Rose" is a beautiful, deep pink. I think it almost has purplish tones. Now that I have red hair, I didn't want to choose a red lipstick for fear they would clash! I thought this would be a lovely shade and one that could be worn daytime or nighttime.
The above swatch was just one swipe of the lipstick! This lipstick glides on beautifully. It is not a silky, glossy lipstick which I feel move around the lips a lot and before you know it all traces of colour are gone. This is a fairly matte lipstick but the texture is quite creamy. It's definitely not drying on the lips.
Lancome boast that these lipsticks have a 6-hour wear time. Normally I would brush off these claims, because I know it is kind of difficult (and a pain) to maintain a bold lip colour throughout the day, especially if you are eating or drinking. But let me tell you, this little beauty surprised me! I don't know about 6 solid hours, I had to touch up a little after eating/drinking. But amazingly, this lipstick stays on and does not fade in a crazy way. There was always colour on my lips. None of the dreaded "liner effect"! This lipstick has I think industrial strength staying power!
These lipsticks are kind of expensive (£21.00). I don't really think it is a "must-have" item but it is an exceptionally good lipstick, probably the best I have ever owned. I feel really glamorous when I am wearing it! Now if only I could look like Emma Watson too! That would be great!
Give these a little swatch next time you are at a Lancome counter. They have an incredible range of shades, but for me it was the lasting power for which I was most impressed.
Thursday, 23 January 2014
I received this lovely box as a Christmas present. I have never used Clinique polishes before but even the presentation and the packaging of this box is just very fancy!
Inside the box is this cute little bag, with the three nail polishes inside. The nail polishes are petite 5ml bottles, they are absolutely adorable and the shades are second to none.
L-R - Black Honey, Strappy Sandals, Polished Amethyst
This is Black Honey. I absolutely adore this colour.... it is the most beautiful, deep, aubergine colour. Application is just like a dream. The polish is a cream texture and feels so smooth on your nails. I have used three light coats here. I haven't worn dark nail polishes for years and years. This one has really taken me by surprise and I love it. I think this is my favourite colour of the trio!
And here is Polished Amethyst with Strappy Sandals as an accent nail. Polished Amethyst is the most beautiful, fuchsia pink nail polish ever. It is almost iridescent. It's not really shimmery, but it has a glossy kind of metallic sheen. That is probably the worst description ever! But I really do love this colour. It was a dream to apply too, it is almost a one-coater but I applied two coats to give the colour a bit of extra depth.
Strappy Sandals is an incredibly shimmery, metallic silver. This one would have a frost finish. It could apply in quite a streaky fashion if you aren't careful. The consistency of the polish is very lightweight and a bit runnier compared to the others. Again I used two coats here. This polish is the most long-wearing of the trio!
What do you think of these nail polishes?
Sunday, 19 January 2014
I am really not familiar with MAC stuff at all. I only have a couple of eyeshadows, and I used the Prep & Prime protection over the summer and really loved it.
I spent the day in Dublin yesterday and while wandering around Brown Thomas I just decided feck it, I'm going to treat myself to a couple of MAC bits. Perfect cure for the January blues!
I definitely wanted a new foundation. I currently use IsaDora Wake Up Makeup most days and my Lancome Teint Idole when I want to be more "done up". I don't like BB creams but wanted a very lightweight, sheer foundation. So, Face and Body seems like it fits the bill!
MAC shades confuse me. This is the shade N1. It suits me fine. Out of interest I tested the other shades and was surprised at how either yellow toned or pink toned they were.
The consistency is very fluid like. It is really kind of watery. The blob that I put on my hand for this photo was way too much! A tiny bit will go a long way. It gives a lovely, luminous effect to your skin and I think it makes me look really healthy! (Today I feel like death, thanks to this nobody would know!)
The only thing I really dislike is the smell! It is horrid! I can't even describe what it is like, but it's not a nice perfumey scent, it's more like...glue or something!
After reading about these lovely palettes on many blogs, and lusting after them for many months, I really couldn't resist picking one up for myself. I chose Pinkluxe because I really felt it suited me the best. The blue one and the green one were so beautiful and striking, but I would definitely get more wear out of this palette. And the shades are really remarkable. Pinky eyeshadows are my favourite, but I have never seen shades like these before, ever.
My absolute favourite is the second from the bottom. It is just incredible!
So far I have only used these shadows dry. Apparently when applied with a wet brush they transform into pure shimmery, metallic shades. I would definitely apply them this way for an evening look, but for day to day I love the sheer, shimmery colours. They are just perfect!
Texture wise, I haven't used anything like them. They aren't powder, but they are more like a very light cream shadow. They are actually quite easy to blend out and to apply. After wearing them today I can see that they don't have the best longevity, despite me using my beloved ArtDeco eyeshadow base which I swear by.
I am really happy with both my purchases! I am quite impressed with MAC. Are there any other must have items that I should consider buying?
Sunday, 12 January 2014
This was my favourite bargain that I picked up in the sales. This gorgeous gift set was reduced to £15.00 in my local chemist. I had tested this perfume before and quite liked it, so thought I might as well buy it!
I am not a Katy Perry fan at all, but I do quite like her perfumes. I have the original Purr in the absolutely incredible cat bottle, but that scent it definitely not as pleasing to me as this one.
I love the gorgeous bottle. It looks so regal and is so unusual in it's design. I love the little designs on the lid, especially the cat logo!
Anyway, on to the actual scent. Normally I am attracted to very sweet and fruity perfumes. This is a little bit different for me and it totally an Autumn/Winter scent in my mind.
Heart Notes - Red velvet flower, Rainbow Plumeria, Natural jasmine sambac
Top notes - Dark plum, Wild berry, Bergamot
Base notes - Cashmeran, Natural patchouli heart, Liquid praline
To me, this perfume has an incredibly deep, woody scent. It is definitely a floral type fragrance. This scent is just so glamorous, to me it smells quite expensive, not very "teenagery" like a lot of celebrity perfumes.
The only problem is it fades very quickly. I sprayed this on my neck and wrists earlier today, and right now I can barely detect a trace. But it was so cheap for me that I do not mind spraying it a lot!
I also have to say that the body lotion in this set is simply divine! It is quite strongly scented and seriously lasts all day. So it is worth layering up the scents!
Tuesday, 7 January 2014
In the run up to Christmas and over the holidays, I really wanted to restrict the amount of cosmetics I purchased. In fact, it's part of my new years resolution. I don't *need* that really. But here are a few things which I did treat myself to. I work full time and I do enjoy buying myself little things here and there. These are some items which I got over the last 4 or 5 weeks.
Burts Bees Lip Balm Blueberry and Chocolate - While browsing one evening for shampoos on Feelunique.com, this little lipbalm ended up in my shopping cart. I do love lipbalms, and I think Burts Bees are actually the best lipbalm out there. But the Blueberry and Chocolate version is something that I had never heard of before and I really wanted to try. The balm itself is so lovely and moisturising like all Burts Bees lipbalms, but the scent is absolutely incredible. Admittedly it is more blueberry than chocolate, but it is amazing nonetheless. I adore it!
Kerastase Bain Divalent Shampoo - I had been using Kerastase Bain Exfoliant Purifiant for dry scalp for the last year or two, and lately I noticed that it has been doing nothing for me. So I decided to go with a different shampoo this time. This one is for oily roots and sensitised lengths, which describes my hair perfectly. It lathers up really nice and has a nice scent. I have noticed that I have been getting an extra day out of my hair, and it seems to be a lot kinder to my coloured hair too. Brilliant!
Deborah Lipmann Wicked Nail Polish Trio - I did not actually buy these but my sister's friend in America sent them over for me, because I love nail polishes and I love Wicked! This nail polish set is limited edition and exclusive to Sephora. The shades are (left to right) Defying Gravity, Popular and One Short Day. I love them all but Popular is my favourite! And I will be wearing them when I go to see Wicked again in the Bord Gais Energy Theatre on it's last day of the Ireland shows.
Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel - I have wanted this product for so long and on my recent trip to Dublin I popped into Arnotts and just decided to buy it. I don't usually wear bronzer, but since I got this I have been wearing it nonstop! It is an even better product than I thought it was going to be! Some days I just wear this all over my face on it's own when I don't have time to put on make up. It is absolutely amazing and I can imagine I will use it plenty in the summer months!
Katy Perry Killer Queen 50ml Eau de Parfum - I had tested this perfume before and thought it was nice, but I had to get this gift set when I saw it reduced to £15.00 in my local chemist! It is such a lovely Wintery fragrance I think, and the bottle looks absolutely extraordinary. I will do a more in-depth review soon, because I really do think this perfume is very special!
It's ok to treat yourself now and then, isn't it?!
Wednesday, 1 January 2014
It is so difficult for me to believe that 2013 is at an end. I have to say that it has been a wonderful year for me, and I hope 2014 will be just as good. I wish everyone a very happy and prosperous new year.
I started this blog in January 2013. I have always tried numerous, varied products but ever since I started blogging I find that I have bought things that I wouldn't normally have looked at, thanks to everyone's great reviews and blog posts.
I had to think long and hard but I have chosen seven products which have entered my life in 2013 and hopefully will never leave!
1. Clarins Instant Eye Make Up Remover - This is one item which will now always be a staple in my skincare routine. This eye make up remover has an oil and water layer which you shake together and which really cuts through all eye make up with one swipe. It is so gentle on your eyes, there is no need to tug or pull on the skin. It is £15.00 a bottle which normally lasts me about 10 weeks. It is worth every penny!
2. Cocoa Brown 1 Hour Tan Mousse - I never used to wear fake tan, until I discovered this. Now I wear tan every single day. Isn't it funny how things change? I don't know what I would do without my Cocoa Brown. I don't look normal without it. Actually I don't even remember what I look like without tan. It is just the most natural looking tan, so easy to apply and it is dry almost instantly after applying. Sure it is so handy, why wouldn't you wear it all the time?!
3. Lancome Teint Idole Foundation - I decided to invest in a good foundation back in May and I am so delighted I chose this. I have not spent this much money on a foundation before, but I can tell you that you can actually feel the difference in quality compared to other foundations. This is without a doubt the best foundation to ever land in my make up collection. It is so light yet gives great coverage. It has a nice scent, and I love the glass bottle with the pump.
4. Art Deco Dip Eyeliner - I used to be so crap at applying liquid eyeliner. I don't know how I can apply this little beauty so easily, but I can. The formula, the brush, everything about it makes it so easy for me to line my eyes. And it has lasted so long too and hasn't started to dry up or anything. Although, I am incredibly upset now that I have just realised Debenhams do not stock this anymore! I don't know what I will do when this runs out!
5. Lancome Hypnose Mascara - After trying my first Lancome mascara earlier in the year (Hypnose Star) I can confirm that out of all the brands of mascaras I have tried, nothing even comes close to the quality of Lancome. I love the formula and the wand. My lashes are so amazing looking when I use this!
6. Illamasqua Cream Blush - Remember the Illamasqua 50% off sale everyone went crazy for? The only thing I bought was this cream blush in the shade "Dixie". I didn't really get on with it at first, but I have worn it every single day and have not even hit pan yet! I like to apply it with the Real Techniques Stippling Brush or I tap in on with my fingers. Even if I am wearing a powder blush, I always put on a bit of this underneath as a base. It is absolutely brilliant and well worth the money,
7. Urban Decay Naked Palette - I snubbed this palette for such a long time. I didn't like the idea of "nudes", I mean what is the point of wearing eyeshadow at all if you are going to go nude? But when I first saw this palette up close in real life, I quickly realised that my assumption was wrong. These shades are all so beautifully shimmery and in my opinion they are not what I would call "nudes". I love bronzey, gold shades and this palette is packed full of them. Since I got this palette I have worn no other eyeshadows! I like the idea of Naked 2 and now Naked 3, but in my opinion, the original Naked palette is the best.
Do you like any of these products? What products have you tried in 2013 that you love? Please let me know in the comments below.